The first area visitors will see upon entering the Botanic Garden SP is the
Fernando Costa Avenue, lined by Jerivás (Syagrus romanzoffiana (Cham.) Glassman), a native Brazilian palm tree.
Along the Avenue, guests are invited on a 250-meters long deck, made of reclaimed wood, from where they can see the native flora as well as the clear waters of the Pirarungaua Creek — its spring is located in the Atlantic rainforest and its waters join the Ipiranga Stream.
On the Avenue’s right is a large grass area with several plants from the Garden’s collection, and at the end of the deck are restrooms and the restaurant.
The Avenue is named after Dr. Fernando Costa, Agriculture, Industry and Commerce Secretary who supported the funding and development of the Botanical Garden SP. The Pirarungaua Creek was piped for over 70 years, since 1945, and in 2008 it was reincorporated into nature, which contributed tremendously to the Garden’s entrance.